Monday, August 13, 2007

Big Brother 8...

Susan and I have a guilty pleasure for the summer. It's Big Brother 8. (Survivor is not on for the summer, after all!) It's a classic study in how people interact with one another, and it can be pretty entertaining. Although, I'm not sure why anyone would put themselves through the experience of being away from family for several months and having to wear a microphone for 24/7!

What has troubled me this season are the people in the Big Brother House who claim to be Christian but then curse every other word and lie and antagonize others in the house. Some are claiming to be "holier than thou" but are not representing Christians in a good light. And then the editors of the show play organ music to emphasize the pious moments of prayer and extemporaneous calling out to God. It is really irritating. Why can't people live out their faith in a positive way and stop claiming that God cares about helping them win a reality show? It's the same thing with athletes thanking God for helping them win a game or a race or whatever. (Never mind that God cares for all the losers out there too.) I'm glad that they acknowledge God. I'm glad that they claim a relationship with God. But I worry about the twisted theology they are giving the world.

But then again, we watch every episode and love our sports...

No comments: