Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Kinda' "Blah" Night on American Idol...

Okay, I'm a little tired tonight, and it seems like the American Idol contestants were too! First of all, what a rushed production it was tonight. Everyone seemed a little out of their element. I'm not sure Paula was ever really there. When she addressed Jason's second song that he had not even sung yet, that had to be one of the most awkward exchanges I've ever seen on TV. Well, we definitely know it's a LIVE show now. And please, please, please, (and I know I've said it before) someone has got to tell the "mosh pit" not to wave their hands. Not a wave matched a song tonight. Why? Oh, why? It's beginning to make AI seem lame, and I love this show.

Briefly,
Jason Castro -- He was okay, but every week he sounds exactly the same. The "slacker" choices and attitude are not helping him. As Simon said, his performances were forgettable. In fact, I can't remember what he sang, and I just watched it. He seems to be handling the pressure of the show well; he doesn't seem to let anything get to him. (Of course, I would be a "basket case," but that's another story.)

David Cook -- He will win. I predict it now. David C. seems to be the one best prepared for the record industry. Of all the contestants remaining, I can hear his CD already, and I would definitely buy it. The selections he made tonight were good, especially since he picked songs that were not immediately recognizable. That way he could make them his own. They weren't his best of the season, but he will be safe. He also doesn't seem to be letting his emerging "front runner" status go to his head. From his attitude on stage, he seems grounded.

Brooke White -- Brooke was so much better this week. We were so glad! She seemed really nervous, and I don't want her to doubt herself. She is very talented and needs to trust in that. I disagree with Simon that the first song, "I'm a Believer" (see, I actually remembered hers!) was a "nightmare." Any song immortalized in Shrek can't be bad! It was a safe performance. I preferred her second song, "I Am, I Said." It was so authentic and heartfelt. She genuinely conveyed the song, and I hope that emotional connection will carry her through to next week. (By the way, it's pretty cool that four of the top five contestants can play instruments. That was a good twist in this year's competition!)

David Archuleta -- I just knew he would pick "Sweet Caroline" and/or "America," and he ended up picking both! He sang them both well, but something felt disingenuous about them. I felt like he didn't really connect for some reason. He didn't seem to be in full voice tonighteither, and it was one of the first times I noticed he missed some notes; his voice even cracked on "America." Something felt off to me. But he did well enough and picked good songs, so I think he will sail through.

Syesha Mercado -- Syesha did a'right tonight. (Channeling Randy.) Her performances were good, and she looked like she was enjoying herself, but I am seeing that she is much better suited for the Broadway stage or for a FOX/ABC/NBC/(insert network) sitcom than for pop icon. And hey, that's not a bad thing at all! She definitely wasn't the worst, or the best, but she fell in the middle for me.

And was it just me, or did no one really "bring it" tonight? I was beginning to wonder, could it be that Neil Diamond songs just don't work in 1 minute increments? As soon as they tried to set up a song, it was over. That was the producers fault. Overall, it was a pretty bland night. (Of course, Susan and I will still watch every moment like rabid dogs. Well, not really rabid, since we had to DVR it, but you know what I mean. We won't miss it.)

Best of the night: David Cook

Should go home: Jason Castro (but probably won't!)

Oh, and by the way, I loved the "Indiana Jones" preview! Just reminded me that I CAN'T WAIT!

P.S. after results night :( -- I am bummed Brooke is out. Why Jason, why? Somebody get those cell phones away from those teenage girls! If David Cook is voted out, I may not care who wins. (Even though I will probably still watch anyway!)

2 comments:

Tammy said...

I'm hoping Jason goes home too. I'm sick of looking at that hair!

Sister Honey Bunch/Judi maloney said...

Jason must go home.