This week on American Idol, songs from the Rock N'Roll Hall of Fame. So many to choose from, so many possibilities. For some of the remaining four, it worked, and others, well, let's just say, it's time for Jason to go! Sorry, dude! I think it's time. (Poor Brooke. I'm still upset for her, but I'll cope.)
Tonight...
David Cook -- I will overlook the fact that David said he was born in 1982, the year that Duran Duran sang, "Hungry Like the Wolf." Since I was in seventh grade. And that makes me feel old. He did all right, but I was surprised he didn't take some liberties with the song and make it more his own. The second song, "Teenage Wasteland" ("Baba O'Riley" is the real title? Anyway...) was MUCH better, and sounded more like a classic "David Cook" song. I think he will be safe. He just seemed a little off on his game tonight. I hope his brother is okay. The pastor in me jumps to pastoral care when I see someone having an "off" night!
Syesha Mercado -- Syesha has really come into her own the past few weeks. Tonight was no exception. Her songs and performances were great, but I can't help but feel that she is performing as someone else rather than as herself. "Proud Mary" was great, but it was a Tina Turner-esque performance complete with head throws and Tina moves. The second song, "A Change Is Gonna Come" was really good, but what stood out for me was Syesha's reaction to the judges. For so long, I have felt that Syesha was a little "above" everyone else. Like she was a little arrogant. But tonight that opinion melted away when that protective shell cracked and she showed real emotion. I appreciated that and felt like she really connected. I loved Simon's reaction: "Randy, you made her cry."
Jason Castro -- In different seasons, I might understand what Jason is still doing in this competition, but when he is still here and other, more talented singers are gone, I can't help but wonder if there is an underground voting block that is keeping him in. Seriously, "I Shot the Sheriff" (but I did not shoot the deputy...) He is so happy-go-lucky goofy, he is almost difficult to watch. Under other circumstances, it would be fun, but for some reason he makes me uncomfortable. The way he opens his eyes really big and follows the camera in the opening sequence. Has anyone else noticed that? "Mr. Tambourine Man" Yawn...Jason, your time has beyond been coming.
David Archuleta -- Only when he has to talk do I remember that he is 17. Then he appears to be the goofy teenager I remember being at 17. His songs were great tonight. "Stand by Me" and "Love Me Tender" were great choices. Definitely not modern ones (as none were) but this boy can SANG! His approach to the notes, his high notes and falsetto in "Love Me Tender" were once again (tender and) masterful. As Simon sez, he "crushed the competition" tonight. I still think it will be an all David finale.
Should go: Please, Jason. (I don't think Syesha could handle it if she's eliminated before he is!)
Best of the night: David Archuleta
Did anyone else notice how completely coherent and on her game Paula was tonight? She made some of the most genuine evaluations and comments I have heard her say! Good for her. Job security questions will do that to you, I guess!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I like your take on things. I agree that it will be Jason's turn to go.
I agree that Syesha won't be able to take it if Jason goes. And even though I really like Jason, I don't think that he should stay in over Syesha. Enjoyed your review! :)
oops, I meant Syesha won't be able to take it if SHE goes before Jason. :)
Post a Comment