We actually watched American Idol on the same night it aired! I couldn't help but respond to the singers on "inspirational" night. Not sure if I was necessarily inspired by the songs of the night. But they were a'right.
Michael Johns: Was a little worried about taking on Aerosmith -- but he did pretty good. If he hadn't done the high pitch "Dream On" I would've been greatly disappointed. Overall, he was good! DON'T talk back -- it was out of character for him, I thought. Still wondering what's up with the scarves. Who is his fashion advisor? It's too distracting. Next week he'll be wearing a dickie.
Syesha Mercado: Syesha good. Syesha not Fantasia. But actually, she rocked this song, I think. It's always dangerous to do a song that a former Idol winner has sung, but let me tell you, I didn't know she had that high note in her! Go, girl! (Can I get by with that?) She was great and actually one of my favorites of the night.
Jason Castro: I like this version of "Somewhere over the Rainbow," especially as it was used in "50 First Dates" with Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore. The ukelele was a little cheesy (no offense to ukelele players out there) but it worked for him. I wouldn't have raved like the judges did, but maybe they heard something we didn't.
Kristy Lee Cook: I like Martina McBride, so when I heard she was singing "Anyway" I worried about the song choice. But she did a great job! This song has a great message, and I think she sold it. Best for her.
David Cook: I usually like David Cook, but tonight I didn't. Maybe it was the song. I didn't get it. Didn't hear the words. It sounded angry for an inspirational song. So I was a little bummed for him. I kept thinking the jacket was a little "strait-jackety" (new word) also. I know someone's in trouble if Susan and I keep talking while he/she is performing. I would just skip this song on his CD. But I think he's safe.
Carly Smithson: Oh no, another Queen song. Susan gets a little defensive about those. She did pretty good, but I could tell that she was distracted somehow. She just didn't seem comfortable. But she has a powerful voice. She may be in danger though. The judges seem to have turned against her.
David Archuleta: Wow. Every week I have to remind myself he's 17. When he sings, he is far beyond his years. When he's himself, you can tell he's still a teenager. I cannot imagine. At 17, I would have been a basketcase. I wouldn't have been able to stutter my name, much less sing on TV. He was so comfortable at the piano and his performance was so natural. He has a pure voice and talent. "Angels" was a great choice, and what an inspirational song. Whatever happens on AI, he is going places! I hope we get to hear him for years.
Brooke White: Susan and I love Brooke. She is so genuine. I enjoyed her song tonight, "You've Got a Friend." It wasn't a powerhouse performance, but it was a simple, heartfelt rendition. I worried about her afterwards, though. She looked so sad. I hope she sticks around. C'mon, America, get it right!
Will go: I hate to say it, but I think Syesha or Carly will go home based on this week. Syesha for singing a former AI winner's song or Carly for her uncomfortable performance. But they are all really good. I haven't had any real moments where I have the "all over chills" when someone sings. I am waiting still. David A. has come close.
Not sure what all the chihuahua talk was all about. Must be an inside joke.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I liked your new word "straight-jackety". Great review! :)
Like your template-
And your take on AI!
Post a Comment